Constipation is a common gastrointestinal complaint which refers to the infrequent bowel movements that are difficult to pass. The problem may occur due to reasons such as stress, sedentary lifestyle, lack of exercise, artificial sweeteners, age factor, hormonal disorders, less intake of fluids and low fiber diet. Diseases primarily of other parts of the body may also affect colon and cause constipation.
Learn in this post, about some of the beneficial natural remedies to treat constipation-
- Mix in a glass of hot milk, a tsp of clarified butter and have it before going to bed.
- Drink a juice prepared from mixing equal proportions of carrot and spinach at bed time to cure constipation.
- Have a tsp of mulaithi powder with jaggery at bed time to cure constipation.
- Add a tsp of fennel seeds to a glass of lukewarm water and drink the same mixture before going to bed. Fennel seeds can also be chewed after meals to improve digestion and ease the bowel movements.
- Soak some black raisins in hot water, mash and take it at bedtime.
- Drinking ½ cup of cabbage juice twice daily is said to be beneficial in treating constipation.
- A tsp of triphala powder (a mixture of Emblica officinalis, Belleric myrobalan & Chebulic myrobalan) should be taken with honey twice daily.
- To cure constipation, administer a tsp of castor oil with 1/4th tsp ginger powder in warm water at bedtime.
- Taking a tsp of honey in lukewarm water is said to be a beneficial natural remedy for treating constipation. This should be taken on an empty stomach.
- Administering equal quantities of turmeric rhizome powder and black salt with warm water after meals, is also an effective remedy for constipation.
- Powdered harad (about 3-5 g) can be taken with warm milk before bed time. For kids suffering from gas and constipation, make them lick a pinch of harad powder with honey.
- Soak a few dates in milk, mash and take it with milk for a week for treating constipation.
Include a high fiber diet containing lots of whole grain cereals, lentils, green leafy vegetables and fresh fruits. Cut down on starchy and fatty foods, spices, excessive salt, white flour, bread, pulses, cakes, biscuits, cheese and white sugar. Drink 3-4 liters of water every day to keep body hydrated and improve bowel movement. One should cut down on the intake of alcohol, tea, & coffee as these make the problem of constipation worse!
Regular physical exercises that strengthen the abdominal muscles are useful in maintaining normal bowel movement. Yogasanas, brisk walk, running, swimming, cycling, are all good for overall health of our body & to keep constipation at bay.